digging out of the rubble

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Work experience





My three all-time worst jobs:
1) When I was 19 I worked for about two weeks cold calling people from the phone book trying to set up demos for Kirby vacuum salesmen. I wasn't a success. However, the experience wasn't very scarring overall. Number two definitely was ..

2) In the late 1990s, for some peculiar reason I worked in the legal profession very briefly. This, also, was not a success for me. I worked at "The Vortex of Evil, located in the Leo Burnett building in Chicago's loop. I took the train into the city each day and walked to work, often nearly being pasted by taxis because I constantly was craning my neck up to gawk at the big tall buildings. However, when I arrived at work, I had arrived at a peculiar subculture that was a little like high school in a John Hughes film. "The Firm" specialized in defending the most evil corporate clients: Philip Morris was by far their biggest. The paralegals, true Stepford Wives, were stacked into closet-like rooms like shrimp, where they proceeded to form creepy cliques and hate each other in a myriad of ways. The lawyers were people who'd become pod people to make big salaries. There was nobody really in charge and it was very "Lord of the Flies" but with a mostly female cast ....

1 Comments:

  • It's amazing how every work environment basically parallels high school social dynamics.

    By Blogger jesse, at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home